One blistering sunburn in childhood or adolescence more than doubles a person’s chance of developing melanoma in later life.
Why Get Involved
SKIN CANCER - THE FACTS
- Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the UK.
- Rates of the disease are rising faster than any other
cancer and have quadrupled over the last 30 years.
- More people die from skin cancer in the UK than Australia.
- Malignant melanoma - the deadliest form of the disease - is
one of the most common forms of cancer amongst young
adults aged 15-34.
- Two 15-34 year olds are diagnosed with melanoma per day
in the UK.
- Seven people die every day of skin cancer in the UK.
- Experts estimate that by 2024 melanoma will
become the most common form of all major cancers.
- 80% of all skin cancers are caused by over-exposure
to the sun and/or sunbeds making it skin cancer largely